Thursday, June 16, 2011

Damn it feels good to be a tourist...

(Attn. Professor Locker, this is non-educational commentary….don’t grade me!)

Of course, the Colosseum, Palatine and Forum are some of the most touristy locales in Rome, but I find it imperative to point out the hilariously indecorus approach many tourists take when visiting these ancient and venerated sites. And I’m not talking about the goofy German tourists with their fanny packs, khaki shorts and dorky Velcro sandals, I’m talking about the stiletto-heel wearing, 4-water-bottle-buying, plastic poncho wearing (yes it rained, and it was HEAVENLY), corny photo-taking tourists. We all need a corny photo and a cheap souvenir to bring home to our families after a European vacation if just to prove we were there.

However, it was beginning to border on ridiculous. There were random men dressed cheaply as Roman soldiers offering sexy pictures at the base of the Colosseum (see image to the left). Okay, I get the appeal. But who gets up in the morning and says “THIS is the perfect outfit to wear to the dusty, crowded, ancient and vast Colosseum!” (see picture on the right, taken inside the Colosseum). How does she keep her outfit so white when I am covered in dust, sweat and grime from a day of Roman adventuring? What would the ancients say? I think they’d say…cute shoes?

No comments:

Post a Comment